Wednesday 18 April 2012

Cerealtastic.

Morning has broken, and since turning vegan my whole attitude to cereals and breakfast has changed immensely... Mostly because it had to.  I had the disappointing realisation that MOST cereals aren't in fact vegan.  Not even Kellogg's Cornflakes.  'What could be in that?', I wondered.  It's just corn?  Same for things like Rice Krispies.  Then the knowledge of a little fortification called Vitamin D. 

A lot of cereals these days are fortified with vitmains and iron, something which pre-vegan I never really paid attention to.  I just looked for the suitable for vegetarians logo and chucked the box in my shopping basket.  Or, cradled it in my arms to the till...  And being vegetarian means that most cereals out there, with the exceptions of say Lucky Charms due to marshmallow and that kind of thing, are fine.  In fact, I used to spend ages in the cereal aisle debating which one I could see in my bowl in the morning.  COCO POPS.  *snatch*

Now it is a different story, thanks to Vitamin D. 

Vitamin D can be sourced in two ways; from plants or from wool.  Wool.  Yes.....  Wool.  The former being D2, the latter being D3.  I am not entirely sure why D3 is better, perhaps it is more easily absorbed by the body or something, but that little scoundrel is everywhere.  Which has greatly reduced my time loitering in the cereal aisle!  My cereal choices are mostly between Malted Wheats, Kellogg's Fruit and Fibre and porridge.  And the winner of all three and my staple in the morning is???  Porridge. 

*bows down to the oat*

I simply love it.  With a bit of cinnamon, or strawberry jam, or even just a sprinkling of sugar.  If I wake up in the middle of the night, and I am hungry, I will find myself lying there thinking about porridge.  Nutritious, filling, tasty, comforting - like a warm hug on a winter's day.  I do love my porridge.



1 comment:

  1. Of course being so "I HAVE ARRIVED! I'M-A- VEGAN-AND-JUST SO-MUCH-SMARTER-AND-HOLIER-THAT-THOU-AND-WHY-THE-F#$ck-CAN'T-EVERYONE-BE-LIKE-ME?" Your eminence, you're holiness hasn't realized cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) is also produced naturally by the skin when exposed to ultraviolet light. MEANING IT"S THE EXACT SAME MOLECULE AS IN IN THE CEREAL.

    ReplyDelete